Though in our traditional method we have additional ingredients than what is given below, when my sissy...(Ani) came this weekend we tried out our traditional version of Mutton Kuzhambu in her simple method which turned out really tasty. Mutton generally carries good amount of important vitamins,minerals & with its high amount of unsaturated fat,helps to lower the bad cholesterol and increasing good cholesterol level in our body.It is good for immune system and cell health.It protects from free radicals,provides lot of protein and energy.
Mutton - 1/2 kg
To roast and grind:
Dhania Powder - 4 tsp
Mutton masala- 3 tsp
Red chilli -4
Ginger -1/4 inch
Garlic -4 Pods
Salt as required
Oil - 1 tbsp
To temper :
Oil -1 tsp
Pepper -1/4 tsp
Dry red chillies -2
Curry leaves -few
1. Heat a tsp of oil and fry all the ingredients listed under to grind until slight brown.
2. Allow them to cool down and grind to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in Pressure pan and fry the items under to temper.
4. Now add the grinded paste and fry in low flame for about 3-5 minutes.
5. Now add the cleaned mutton pieces and mix well.
6. Add about 1 cup of water, salt and keep mixing until the masala spreads evenly with mutton pieces.
7. When the curry starts boiling add additional water of about 2 cups and close the lid and leave for 5-6 whistles.
8. Once the pressure is down open the lid and the curry has a watery consistency.
9. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot either with Idli/Dosa/Rice/Salna for Briyani.
|Mutton Salna with Chicken Briyani|
- Add water according to your requirement of consistency.
- I made the curry little watery to be used for both Idli and Briyani.
- Wash the mutton pieces clean,such that they do not have any blood clots over it.
- Do not wash the pieces too much on water as they would loose thier taste.
- Add few pieces with fat which adds taste to the curry. This is most important care to be noted for tasty curry.
|Simple Mutton Kuzhambu|