As per the advice of my pediatrician, I started introducing chicken,mutton and fish to my son in his 9th month onwards. The baby care differs with each pediatrician, so consult with your pediatrician once before you can introduce any new heavy food stuffs. If they are advisable to introduce here is a recipe you can go with.Very simple,plain and tasty too....
Also refer baby care space for more vegetarian infant recipes.
When introducing for the first time just boil the mutton pieces with turmeric powder, curry leaves and feed the soup. Then gradually increase the below ingredients.
Mutton bones -4 pieces
Tomato -1/4 piece
Curry leaves -few
Turmeric powder -a pinch
Toor dal -1 tsp
Jeera/cumin seeds -2 pinches
Salt as required
- When you buy mutton wash them clean and collect the bone pieces.
2. Add all the above ingredients with 2 glass of water and boil.
3. Close the lid and cook for about 15 minutes in medium flame.
4. Now filter out the soup leaving the mutton pieces.
5. This can be mixed with idlis,smashed rice and feed the baby. Avoid the mutton pieces when feeding the babies below 15 months,as they do not know to chew properly.
- Avoid the pepper and garlic when introducing the soup initially.
- Gradually start adding each ingredient one by one.
- Salt can be added a pinch for infants above 1 year.
- you can also add a tsp of the paste when grinding for Mutton kuzhambu. which gives thickness for the soup. I generally do this in my soups.