Biryani is one of the favorite dish for most of the people. Though we have so many varieties of biryani around us, we sometimes look in for very simple method of preparing aromatic biryani. This recipe is a complete version by my sissy Anitha who made me the work so simple in making biryani. Many Thanks for her :)
Chicken - 1/2 kg
Basmati Rice - 1 and 1/2 cup
Water - 3 cups
Clove & Cinnamon powder -1/2 tsp
Bay leaf -1
Oil - 3 tbsp
Ghee - 2 tsp
Coconut oil - 1 tsp (optional)
Ginger - Finger size
Garlic - 10 pods
Mint leaves - handful
Coriander leaves - handful
Green chilli -3
1. Grind the ingredients given under to grind as a fine paste.
2. Grind equal ratio of Cloves and Cinnamon to a very fine powder and use 1/2 tsp of it.
3. Wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes before cooking.
4. Heat oil in a pressure pan, add bay leaf ,then add thin sliced onion and fry until translucent.
5. Add grinded paste and fry in medium flame.
6. When you smell the fine aroma coming out, add cinnamon powder.
7. Now add in the cleaned chicken pieces and saute.
8. From the given water measurement add 1/2 cup and mix well.
9. Cover with cooker lid upside down (as shown in pic) and cook the chicken.
10. Chicken should able to cut with spatula ( as shown in pic).This is the right consistency where you should add rice.
11. Add in the rice,salt and remaining water and mix evenly.
12. Allow it to boil and cook for few minutes without closing the lid. Mix gently in between.
13. When you find the rice is half cooked add the ghee and coconut oil and close the lid. Pressure cook for 1 whistle in low flame.
14. Once the pressure is down, mix the rice gently that rice should not break.
15. Transfer to serving bowl. serve either with Mutton Salna , Chicken Curry or Mutton Kuzhambu or raita or even with plain curd of your choice.
|Chicken Biryani with Mutton Salna|
- Do not wash the rice more times as they tends to loose their flavor.
- You can also use biryani rice to cook this recipe. But take care to add the proper water measurement according to the rice you are using.
- I have added 3 chillies for low spice. You can add additional chillies according to your taste.
- Do not mix the rice more as basmati rice tend to break easily.
- Once pressure is down when mixing the rice, you can use the back of the spatula/laddle to mix.Because they are thin the rice do not break much.
|Biryani with plain curd|